Friday, April 4, 2008

Say What You Will About Thrift Stores...



...but I am completely addicted to them. On Holt Avenue in Pomona, there are two really great ones that my friends and I like to peruse on a regular basis. If you have the patience to sift through mountains of crap, you are pretty much guaranteed to find some really excellent buys. It's sort of like a treasure hunt, really, and in many ways the hunt is more exciting than the purchases themselves. That doesn't take away from the fact that I am in fact cheap, but perhaps that makes the hunt all the more exciting. If I can find a pair of pants for 5 dollars that would cost me 20 at Target, I call that a victory.

So yesterday I went with some friends to both of the thrift stores I just described, and was reminded that with thrift store shopping also comes heartbreak. For instance, I found a like-new Bad Religion (one of my favorite bands on Earth) t-shirt for $1.99, and my heart nearly skipped a beat; it was black and everything. Just one problem: it was an XL. Being the Medium that I am, I hung my head in shame and continued walking. There was also a great pair of Puma shoes in my size that looked practically new; Kumphak informed me that these shoes cost a lot of money in retail stores, and I should snatch them up since they were only five dollars. I would have too, except they were gray. So it would seem that thrift store shopping is a lot like dating. Sometimes your dreams come true, and sometimes you walk away brokenhearted.



That's right, boyyyyy



Thrift stores are great places to take glamor shots. You can put the clothes right back on the rack when you're finished.



Don't be deceived. I'm actually not as happy as I appear.