Saturday, March 22, 2008

To whom it may concern



One of my many, many hobbies is to collect autographs from actors/musician/public figures whom I admire. I've built a fairly modest collection over the years: Elisa Donovan, Sarah Michelle Gellar, James Taylor, Eric Idle, Ashley Judd, Larry Elder, The Eyeliners, The Halo Friendlies, Save Ferris, Meredith Bishop, Giada de Laurentiis, Penn and Teller, Nigella Lawson, Tammy Bruce, Joy Electric and others. Most are personalized, some are not. They have come as a result of fan letters, concerts and book signings, mostly (I always do well at the LA Times Festival of Books). I haven't actually written a fan letter since high school, not because I feel like I'm too old, but I probably fell out of the habit because it can get expensive buying all of those stamps and manila envelopes, and then having to wait sometimes several months for a reply.

Still, I've been thinking more and more about it lately. I really used to enjoy writing fan letters, and of course getting responses. I've decided to get back into the habit, since everybody needs to collect something (or so I am told), and my collection has slowed down quite a bit. I've made a list of people that I really want to write to:

Jerry Lewis (my idol)
Kristin Chenoweth (the love of my life)
Bernadette Peters (one of the most gifted performers on Earth)
Milla Jovovich (I like her acting, but I love her music)
Kate Beckinsale (beauty personified)


And that's probably all I can afford right now, but more will follow...